Heirloom Contender Bush Beans (5g)
The Contender Bush Beans stand out among other bean varieties for their consistent high yield and early production, often beginning a week ahead of other beans.
Start your own Contender Bush Beans garden with our non-GMO seeds from Patriot Seeds.
Our seeds are 100% heirloom and come in robust packaging that allows for a storage life of over 5 years.
When you're ready to take control of your food supply, choose Patriot Seeds!
Contender Bush Beans thrive in full sunlight and typically take around 55 days from planting to harvest.
- Begin sowing the seeds directly into the soil 1 to 2 weeks after the average last frost date, ensuring the soil temperature is at least 65 F.
- Plant one seed every 4", at a depth of 1", and maintain a row spacing of 18 to 24".
- For a sustained harvest, repeat planting every 1 to 2 weeks up until 60 days prior to the expected first frost of autumn.
- Avoid planting during peak summer when temperatures rise above 90 F.
The beans are ready to harvest when the pods snap and break in half cleanly, usually when the seeds have just started to form and the pods are 6 to 8" long.
- To harvest, hold the stem with one hand and the pod with the other.
- Refrain from pulling off the branches as they may continue to yield pods.
Did you know this about Heirloom Contender Bush Beans
Straight from a storybook, the world's largest bean pods can reach lengths of up to 5 feet.